Monday, January 31, 2011

Another day, another lesson learned.

Here's what I learned the last few days. It's been busy at big Mac, and there's no telling when things might slow down.

1) Sometimes things die. A week before the Aldine Livestock Show MacArthur experienced tragedy when one of goats at the school barn died. Thankfully, the student still had a lamb she got to show. The response from students was of genuine concern for the student who suffered the loss. There is a camaraderie among the livestock exhibitors that is truly touching. After school students gather at the barn for hours to help with each others projects, clean each others pens, and catch up. For anyone who says the agriculture education department is just a dumping ground for misspent students, I say come to the ag barn.

2) It's impossible not to get attached. I came into the situation promising myself that I would remain as unattached as possible, knowing in 14 weeks I'd pick up an move somewhere else to a different school with all new kids and teachers. However, that was easier said then done. These students stop in the hall to tell me about their animal, their classes, or life in general. I have kids that I'm secretly rooting for, hoping they'll be able to pull their grades up and graduate in the spring. I was especially touched when one young man asked how long I was going to be at the school and disappointed when I told him I was going back to the Iowa the end of April. He said "aw man, you won't be here for graduation? I'm graduating Miss Rudolphi." I wondered how many times graduation had been in jeopardy for this student and suddenly realized that graduation day would be very, very important.

3) Learning HAS to be fun. I walked into Mr. Arkadie's classroom on the first day and was not greeted by 30 computers, fancy electronics, or a smart board. Suddenly I realized all of the individual and group activities my classmates and I planned in ag eds 402 were worthless, as EVERYONE started their activity with "have students get out their computer...". I realized that this was just another challenge. Much like adjusting to the fact that I won't have to scrape my windshield every morning, I also had to learn how to teach without using much technology and still make it entertaining. In two weeks we have played every sort of game as an interest approach possible. We have played true-false games, variations of four corners (including three corners and two corners) board races, etc. Years of experience being a camp counselor have really come in handy.

4)Time flies when you're having fun. Not only can I not believe how fast the last month has gone, but I also cannot believe how fast every day goes. With school starting at 7am I initially thought the days might drag, but that is definitely not the case. Arkadie and I have three classes of welding in the morning followed by a livestock production class fourth period and Equine science fifth period. The last two periods of the day are conference/visitation for Arkadie so by 1:00pm all the teaching for the day is done and it's on to FFA stuff or planning for the next day. School is over at 2:45pm and then I usually go out to the barn.

5) Home is a feeling, not a place. The gravel roads of Iowa county will always be my home, but this week I realized just how comfortable I am at MacArthur. I got observed this week by Sue a supervising teacher that got appointed to me when I got down here. She is with the Aldine district and will serve in place of my adviser at ISU. Ideally, my ISU adviser would come supervise me 5-8 times throughout this experience but considering the time and resources required, Sue will supervise me instead. After spending about an hour and a half with me and watching a lesson Sue said "you seem very at home here, Josie. And your passion for agriculture is evident when you teach." Hearing someone else, from the outside, tell me that was very relieving. I learned that perhaps I do fit in here, and perhaps I could fit in anywhere. There's no telling where I might be teaching in less than a year, but I know I'm not afraid to travel to unknown places or explore different types of schools. So long as I'm teaching young people about agriculture, I'll be right at home no matter where I am.

This week is the livestock show. Today we spent the day with the other ag teachers in the district setting up the show ring. It's going to be a long but exciting week. Before I go, I want to thank everyone who has read this and/or commented. I appreciate all your support. I'd like to thank the 4 Canadians who have read this blog, or at least the 4 Canadian computers that accidentally routed their user to this site. The fact that I can tell my other ag ed friends that I'm an international blogger makes up for the fact that I have to do this blog in the first place.

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant! Where do you come up with this stuff?


    Your biggest fan

    P.S. this would be a lot more entertaining if it would let me comment anonymously

    ReplyDelete
  2. What awesome insight and optimism you bring as a teacher. We need more teachers and people like you. You have touched lives and you know that is the greatest reward. Those kids may never forget you and as long as you continue to do that, your passion will be renewed each time you step into a classroom! Way to go....and don't stop!!

    ReplyDelete